Not always out of the box... on a couple of servers (and, obviously, in the worst time possibile) we experienced the total impossibility to start the Tomcat service (both the 5.5.17 and the 6.0.18) on a Java SE 6, and all we got was a "[2009-04-21 13:59:37] [924 prunsrv.c] [error] Failed creating java C:\Programmi\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" message.
Googleing around, we only found references to endless updates to the Windows registry (no mickey-taking on the OS please... choosing it has never been a choice, bearing it is already hard enough). We were almost beginning to have an axe to grind with people supposed to solve this problem, but as this typically leads nowhere - and a wonderful scapegoating tournament always begins - we chose to stick to Tiger.
Today I stumbled upon a very short post with the solution to our problems: fiendish and hidden as it may seem, there is a dependency on the msvcr71.dll file that does not work properly. We then just copied it in the System32 directory, changed the target JDK with the configurator and everything ran so smooth that I was almost deluded by the utmost simplicity of it.